Got a Traffic Ticket?
Before you pay a fine, know your rights and defenses!
Moving Violations in New York add up quickly!
- Speeding (mph over posted speed limit) - 1 to 10 = 3 points
- Speeding 11-20 = 4 points
- Speeding 21 to 30 = 6 points
- Speeding 31 to 40 = 8 points
- Speeding Over 40 = 11 points
- Improper Cell Phone Use = 5 points
- Railroad Crossing Violation = 5 points
- Reckless Driving = 5 points
- Followed to closely = 4 points
- Failed to yield right-of-way = 3 points
- Disobeying traffic control signal, STOP sign or YIELD sign = 3 points
In NY, points stay on your license for 18 months.
So if you get 11 points or more within a 18 month period your New York Driver's License may be suspended.
When does the 18 month period start? If you are convicted or plead guilty the 18 month time period starts from the date of the ticket.
Can my ticket be plea bargained/reduced in New York City?
- New York City traffic courts are unlike most Courts in New York State they are operated by the "Traffic Violations Bureau" and plea bargaining is not possible. You either win or loose. .
- Unlike the New York City Traffic Violations Bureau the Nassau County Traffic and Parking Violations Agency allows for plea bargaining in most circumstances.
- Hiring an attorney can be cost effective, your Court Apperance is not necessary. A competent attorney can spot a defective ticket, be able to reduce points and or reduce court fines